Warning: Mortgage Postcard Scam
We’ve received notice from a few of our members that they are getting a postcard in the mail regarding their recently closed mortgage. These postcards are not from River Valley Credit Union. These postcards are a scam – do not call the number listed.
If you called the number, contact us immediately: (515) 232-1654.
We take your privacy seriously and would not send confidential account information on a postcard. Account information from us will always come in a sealed envelope with our logo, sent via email or we will call you.
Things to watch for:
- Always be wary of postcards with any account information. We will always mail personal information in sealed envelopes.
- The postcard doesn’t have our logo. All our materials will always have the RVCU logo , as well the Equal Housing Lender logo when involving mortgage information.
- In the bottom right corner of the postcard, you’ll see “All information provided by H.W.C....loan information not provided by River Valley Credit Union.” When sending mortgage information, our materials will always be clearly labeled as from us.
- Your supposed Mortgage ID number is displayed. We would never display account information on a postcard. All personal information is sent in sealed envelopes.
- The number listed on the postcard is not our phone number.
These scams are not new but do crop up from time to time. They are the subject of this article from January 2019 which you can read here.
If you receive mail and you’re unsure if it’s legitimate, contact us.